General Discussions
Looking for a walkthrough for using DT85GM with Vibrating Wire Strain Gauges and LVDT in Load Test

Hello,
I am a new user of DT85GM (and CEM20). I am going to use DT85GM for performing load test wherein we plan to use vibrating wire strain gauges and LVDTs (load cell is planned to be connected to another data logger).
Since my background is in Civil Engineering so going through all the details of the user manual appears to be a time consuming task, something that our project timelines do not allow for the time being. So I was wondering if someone having done similar testing previously can share a simplified walkthrough which can benefit myself and future users with similar requirements.
Generalized outline of the walkthrough guide might be on following lines;
Connecting VW Strain Gauges and LVDT to DT85GM > Setting up basics including channel information, etc. in Dex software > Setting up calibration factors so convert voltage to physical values > Applying formulas/mathematical operations to obtained physical values to get required output physical values > Setting up graphs for real-time output > Exporting data , etc...

I can understand that it might be too much to ask or may be someone might have a similar file ready which they can share for ready use in such testing. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello, I am a new user of DT85GM (and CEM20). I am going to use DT85GM for performing load test wherein we plan to use vibrating wire strain gauges and LVDTs (load cell is planned to be connected to another data logger). Since my background is in Civil Engineering so going through all the details of the user manual appears to be a time consuming task, something that our project timelines do not allow for the time being. So I was wondering if someone having done similar testing previously can share a simplified walkthrough which can benefit myself and future users with similar requirements. Generalized outline of the walkthrough guide might be on following lines; Connecting VW Strain Gauges and LVDT to DT85GM > Setting up basics including channel information, etc. in Dex software > Setting up calibration factors so convert voltage to physical values > Applying formulas/mathematical operations to obtained physical values to get required output physical values > Setting up graphs for real-time output > Exporting data , etc... I can understand that it might be too much to ask or may be someone might have a similar file ready which they can share for ready use in such testing. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi mirfan1,

I am happy to assist you with the wiring and guide you with the dEX program. Load cell has 4 wires since it form a Wheatstone bridge, you can use a voltage bridge to read the load cell. dataTaker will read the ratio between output vs input in ppm, then we can use the sensor detail to convert ppm into load.

LVDT requires two power supplies with opposite polarity and the output is voltage, so you can follow a voltage channel explanation.

For further detail, please share the type of sensor for both load cell and LVDT and your wiring plan.

Best regards,
dataTaker Expert

Hi mirfan1, I am happy to assist you with the wiring and guide you with the dEX program. Load cell has 4 wires since it form a Wheatstone bridge, you can use a voltage bridge to read the load cell. dataTaker will read the ratio between output vs input in ppm, then we can use the sensor detail to convert ppm into load. LVDT requires two power supplies with opposite polarity and the output is voltage, so you can follow a voltage channel explanation. For further detail, please share the type of sensor for both load cell and LVDT and your wiring plan. Best regards, dataTaker Expert
live preview
enter atleast 10 characters
WARNING: You mentioned %MENTIONS%, but they cannot see this message and will not be notified
Saving...
Saved
With selected deselect posts show selected posts
All posts under this topic will be deleted ?
Pending draft ... Click to resume editing
Discard draft