This time I will explain about some possible causes of error related modem messages:
SESSION: Failed [Network check] - will retry
This error is related to connection testing by pinging to dataTaker website after the internal modem established a data connection. If the pinging is unsuccessful, data connection will be dropped.
There are 2 possible issues:
- If dataTaker website is down, you will never be able to establish data connection, thus it may be a good idea to change the pinging address.
- If the signal is low, there is a chance of pinging timeout with disconnection as a result. In this case please check the signal strength from the display or via AT+CSQ result on modem diagnostic (P56=16).
SESSION: Failed [Data dropped] - will retry
This error has 2 possible scenarios:
- Most of the case would be related to low signal when establishing data connection. As a default dataTaker signal limit is being setup at -93 dBm, any value lower will give disconnection result automatically. SOmetimes instead of [Data Dropped] you may get [Signal too Low] You may lower the limit setting or using an auxiliary antenna to strengthen the signal.
- Incompatibility between the modem and SIM card can also cause this issue. If the SIM card support dual network 3G/ 4G and the location has more preference toward 4G then data connection will get rejected as the modem try to establish 3G connection.
SESSION: Failed [Comms problem] - will retry
This error is related to communication between internal modem and kernel board of dataTaker, there are 2 possible issues:
- If somehow the modem port setting is changed because of eirther reset or accidental setting, that port will not talk to dataTaker. Resetting the port will solve the problem.
- In one rare event, there is a chance the host port of dataTaker (kernel board) get damaged and failed to communicate with the modem. Unfortunately in this case you have to return the logger for service.
SESSION: Failed [SIM problem] - will retry
This error is related to SIM card, with w possible causes:
- SIM card door is not closed or not detected as close state
- A rare occurance if SIM card specs is not match with the modem.
SESSION: Failed [Power problem]
This error is related to modem relay. When the modem turns on because manual command SESSION START/ MODEM ON or because a due data transmission but the relay failed to operate you will get this error. Hardreset the logger may solve this issue, however if it does not unfortunately you have to return it for repair.